JIANI YANG

Blog Post4 : Your PLN and Inclusion

PLN and Inclusion

My existing PLN is the education sector, where institutions focus on promoting diversity among students, tutors, and school workers. An essential aspect is that schools promote diversity by admitting students from different communities. Our institution focuses on diversification at the personal and institution level, where institution stakeholders’ define strategies to understand their community, thus promoting equity. The change also takes at the personal level where every individual must demonstrate traits for living in a diversified environment.

The personal responsibility to promote equity starts at the individual level. I fulfill this expectation by listening to teachers’ and classmates’ voices, especially when working in groups by listening to different voices. In circumstances where I am responsible for working in a group, I listen to ideas for each member, thus respecting their view.  Inclusion and respect for people from different cultures is my core, thus treating classmates and colleagues equally.

Experience from the institution’s goals and strategies have helped me develop an interest in operating in a wide range of interests.  Therefore, I challenge sharing similar themes in a discussion and encourage every team member to give their inputs during a debate to promote inclusion in our group. In most cases, every member feels recognized and free to bring their theme into the discussion. This strength has been beneficial at a personal level and promotes equity and minimizing the biasness of ideas.

I can broaden my plans and practice of exercise by interacting with people from different communities and accepting their choices; people come from other communities. Every culture is unique, and people may have differing opinions towards a particular theme. Therefore, I try to avoid seeing my points and behavior as a benchmark for others’ actions.   A diversification PLN is applicable in expanding personal views on inclusion because it supports sharing unique ideas.

The learning outcome of my PLN is that it takes personal responsibility for an individual to promote diversity and inclusion in their networks.  The benefits of diversity and inclusion accrue to the society, teachers, and students in the institution. In effect, personal responsibility can also include a commitment to social media platforms and allowing everybody to follow or like without any distinction.

Inclusion and PLN is not a static approach but a continuous process that keeps on changing. As the environment changes, inclusion in different settings continue to change, reflecting individual goals. For example, the video reveals that education institutions have been historically exclusive, but changes in teaching methods and transforming individuals of inclusion have transformed education institutions.  As a result, I have developed a positive attitude that individual effort is essential in achieving inclusion in a diversified environment.

1. jessemiller October 14, 2020

Great reflection on inclusion being fluid and not being static. If we anchor inclusion we can’t adapt with emerging needs & making room at the table.